The Water Tower

The Water Tower
The Water Tower at Dusk

Sunday, July 17, 2011

Alice Bowe Sunday Times and Intelligent Gardening

I'm just reading about this garden designer, Alice Bowe. Her article in the Sunday Times today makes great reading and I find myself saying - that's what I am doing. She comments on the mistakes she see's in everyones gardens. God I have been there! narrow borders, leggy plants, lush foliage no flowers.

Work with nature from the outset rather than struggle against it. Start with water and waste. Then consider your soil - like good underwear it is the key to looking good. (I'm off to buy new underwear on Monday).

Stop digging - Oh joy......
Stop walking on wet soil - OK
Start mulching instead. Yep I am doing that nowadays.
Grow green manures - I have done it this year for the first time. Alfalfa is taking off in an area of ground.
Choose the plants - be rutheless. Consider a classic investment piece such as yew, holly or hornbeam. Well did I not discover the most beautiful mature hornbeam tree in the woodland this year. It does look like Beech but with a smaller leave. As Alice says it tolerates wind, drought and flooding so it is better than Beech. That's it - the Beech hedge is going. I planted it last autumn in front of our new fence but it is so wind damaged it is letting the side down. Hornbeam - my new friend......where to buy it though?

Other plants she recommends and I'm looking for - Amsonia - you can get this at Kevock Gardens for £7 per 2 litre pot.

Hosta Blue Angel - has white flowers - also from Kevock.

Lychnis white robin - saw it in Dobbies, don't see it on the Kevock list so might have to do Dobbies for this one. Its a relative of the wild flower "Ragged Robin" which a neighbour has given to me. His dog was named after it. I'll plant this in an area where I can watch its progress. Hopefully it will self seed. It should.

What else in garden plant chat. Well the Sumach row is just beautiful. The Blue poppies planted behind it are past flowering but looking healthy. The Hosta's are flowering. Buddleia looks great - dark purple one. Climbers are all taking off and growing up and over the wall - Clematis and Honeysuckle. Bamboos in the garden proper have appreciated the rain. Campanula stuck into crevices of the wall have worked. One Acer badly damaged but the other is OK. Damaged one is in the wrong place. Ferns look good as ever. Forest flame that was cut back has grown back really healthy. Will cut back other ones in future. Pruning - never be afraid, just do it at the right time and go for it.
Hydrangeas - one in pot has loads of flowers. Two in a border are all green leaves and no flower heads. Too much rich soil probably.


Excuse my ramblings but if I write this lot in here I'll refer back to it later. Otherwise I scribble it down or photograph it and lose it. Get a blog site - its a bit like a lifelong diary.

If you get the Sunday Times look for this girl Alice. As the heading states she is talking about Intelligent Design for gardeners. I proudly state the new buzz words for gardening will be - Intelligent Gardening. You saw it here first.

xx

No comments:

Post a Comment