The Water Tower

The Water Tower
The Water Tower at Dusk

Monday, January 16, 2012

Magazine Publications and Jan 13th Walk

http://viewer.zmags.com/publication/0cfe4a63#/0cfe4a63/2

There's a very well written article with lovely pictures of the house and woodland in this months publication of Homebuiding and Renovating magazine. The link shows part of the article.

There was also a piece in last weekends Scotsman newspaper which was good apart from the rather drab picture of the house in winter.

On the back of the magazine article, we were visited today by a couple from Heriot who live in Borthwick House. They wanted to talk about timber cladding and how it looks and fades with time. It was particularly interesting for me because my grandmother lived in a small white washed cottage in Stagebank, a 10 minute walk down the road from Heriot. From as early as I can remember my sister and I played in the hills and countryside around Stagebank. Often at the railway line! we had natures playground with a "creepy wood", a "bottomless pond" and a trough of water at the foot of the hills where we washed our faces on the 1st of May every year. What a difference to the playgrounds for today's kids.

It's just gone January 13th, the date my dad died at the age of 59 in 1982. I always walk on Jan 13th and this year it co-incided with a walk for the monthly Advertiser feature for Midlothian. Ian called to suggest the Pentlands and a hill climb! Perfect since my dad always liked to climb hills. We had a great day out.

Some of Ian's brilliant photos including 1 of each of us. Just to prove we did it. Boy has the xmas excess and lack of physical exercise wreaked havoc with my fitness level. To say we had a "Pech" is an understatement.





No comments:

Post a Comment