The Water Tower

The Water Tower
The Water Tower at Dusk

Saturday, October 8, 2011

Woodland Management Strategy

https://planning-applications.midlothian.gov.uk/OnlinePlanning/files/915E251D0802C99E58832C994F4EBFFA/pdf/document-62735.pdf

I found this whilst browsing the local council tree permissions on line. It gives a very interesting perspective on the vagaries of managing woodlands. I can understand it - but not being an expert it tells me I still have a lot to learn.

Looking at the water tower woodland today in the drizzling rain the trees planted last year on the top of the bank (6 Gean or native cherry) and the Alder on the steep slope just below the Gean are all doing very well. There's lots of other smaller understorey planting but these trees are looking so good I'm minded to plant more. I think a line of the Alder directly behind the Gean would look good and eventually prove a graded back drop set against the mature trees behind - Beech, Yew, Elm and the wonderful Hornbeam. Oh and the Lime and the Sycamore nearest the corner of the house.
I still have 1 spindly and top growth only Cherry to fell but I'll have to wait until someone can see their foothold. Its too big a tree for me to fell. There's also a fair sized Elm which has died back this year. Dutch Elm disease everyone tells me. Cameron said to lop it because the "thing" that causes Dutch Elm flies at a certain height and if you keep the Elms coppiced then they don't get the disease.
I'll look into that a little more before making any decision. I do like Elm in the Spring and even although the get DED they seem to recover each year? One for some internet research - unless anyone else out there has any advice to offer?

Post to susangoldwyre@yahoo.co.uk

No comments:

Post a Comment