The Water Tower

The Water Tower
The Water Tower at Dusk

Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Event to Celebrate 100 years of Ironmills Park below Woodland

During the construction phase of our house at the edge of the woodland last year, I met a lot of local doggie walkers and passers-by on a regular basis. It was really interesting to get to know my neighbours and people who used the Park regularly. John Holden from Eskbank and a fellow community councillor alerted me in October to the forthcoming anniversary for the park. Nov 29th 2009 marked 100 years since the Duke of Buccleuch gifted the park to the people of Dalkeith.
I was busy but thought I could manage to arrange something for the occasion. Maybe a tea party I thought? But how, when, who and what could I do in a short time. I started with the current Duke of Buccleuch via Cameron Manson who works on the Buccleuch Estates. I penned a hand written letter to His Grace (this is his correct title) asking if he was aware of the forthcoming event and would he like to become involved. I had a lovely letter back stating he was delighted to receive my letter but unfortunately his grace was not available on the suggested date. Never mind, Cameron would represent him and so that was the first step. I contacted the local history society and talked to people in the area. I was given Rae McGee’s name, she does historical story telling and I contacted her. Sadly another key player was not available but....she suggested a fellow colleague Jim Aird. Jim was available. Wonderful.
The Dalkeith history society were interested and I received a copy from the archives of a publication called “The Buccleuch Golden Wedding” / “The Duke’s Gift To Dalkeith”.
Describing the event of their golden wedding in 1909, the publication describes the joy and frivolity of the time. The section titled Gift Of Public Park to Dalkeith records that the town leased the park from the Duke and he thought to convert this lease into a deed of gift which might meet with the approbation of its fellow citizens. Provost Tod at the time stated that the gift took his breath away. I do hope he meant metaphorically. It’s a difficult publication to read due to print quality and style of writing but I persevered and read through it. In the past David Smith, the well known ex provost of Dalkeith, had written a summary of the history of the water tower and I recognised some of the information. In particular, that the documented history of Dalkeith town goes as far back as the 14th Century. Here is my interpratation (in brackets) of one section from the publication.
Dalkeith had a wonderful volume of trade and it was commensurate with other successful towns in regard to trade, situation and beautiful surrounds. It is an old town but not an old Burgh. Burgh status came about by setting up a group of trustees and in changing times the trustees wanted more power and hence the town council came into being (someone on the committee of trustees rocked the boat, threw the toys out of the pram and a compromise was reached by agreeing to re structure into a town council). The town changed slowly with improvements to its roads and footpaths and then there was more rapid change (the trustees did their bit early on in getting the roads fixed but the bigger picture was to make the town more viable and recent changes went ahead without consultation).  It now had a public park which in 1909 had been turned from leasehold into a permanent holding (the park was up for grabs, the Duke was willing to give it away and get rid of a liability and headache and the people of Dalkeith could have it). Its water supply, which at one time was very doubtful, was now in first rate working order - “Question” and laughter (the water tower was supposed to fix the problem of a clean water supply to Dalkeith but it didn’t, the only people who benefited were the residents in Eskbank because they had ground floor bathrooms, but even they were receiving water that tasted funny). I can make this last comment with some conviction because the water tower history taught me that the supply from the tower was fraught with problems. I  dare not start on the water tower now or you will be bored reading it. Next time.
Getting back to the event in the Park. Having secured a historical walk and talk and knowing that Cameron would be highly entertaining, I thought – food! Everyone will come if there is free food. Gerry offered to do BBQ but it was November and the weather could be poor. I know Matin Khan of Itihaas restaurant in Dalkeith and thought some hot pakora’s would be a good idea, especially in a paper bag in the way I used to have hot food in the school playground on a cold day. The ultimate illiteration emerged, Pakora in a Poke in the Park. Someone said to me they dreamt of a poke in the park but that’s another story. I made up an invite, used a lot of coloured ink and suddenly appreciated the benefit of my old job when I could make colour prints foc. I sent it out to local residents, 2 Rotary groups, History Society, Duke of Buccleuch and the 2 Community Councils in Dalkeith and Eskbank.  I knew that these groups included people who sat on other local groups and clubs such as the Amenity Society and the local Rugby and Tennis Club but with hindsight, I should have invited these groups as well. All comes down to that colour ink cost and anyone who has ever done this type of thing before will know that you make drafts and want to print them.
So that was it – food, chat and a walk in the park. Eighty people turned up on a bitterly cold day and I had a book for people to register their comments. The local squeak recorded the event and best of all, the town council gifted 6 trees to mark the event. Margot Russell and James Kinch worked on this with the council landscape architect who identified the best trees. I can record – silver maple, purple sycamore, turkey oak, London plane, pin oak and Turkish hazel were planted and a commemorative plaque was laid beside one tree. These trees are not native to the woodland above the park but they are complimentary park species trees and I can tell you they look wonderful.

The plaque

And so it goes full circle; when the Duke gifted the Park, the people were delighted. 100 years on, I and many others were delighted to have 6 more lovely trees in the park. I’ll photograph them soon because they were selected for the autumnal colours and it won’t be long before the whole park is bursting with the autumn colours.
Some comments from the record book on the day of the event –
 Ann and Fethi Kmicha, spent many happy days in this park.
Janet and Linda – the 2 women you met 2 weeks ago looking for the squirrel and ending up having a blether for 20 minutes. This was interesting would love to do it again.
Mansa Tulloch – Good informative talks. Good pakora too.
Jack Clyne – As I was born in No 3 Ironmills Cottage 60 years ago it was a nice trip down memory lane.
Julie Davis – a most interesting way to spend a cold wet pm, well done and thank you.
Peter and Gladys Kidd – very interesting, look forward to future announcements
Susan Murray nee Nicol – happy memories of 25 years living in the park.

Copy of the local squeak article. If you click on it you might be able to read the text. I'm at the back in pink wellies (just realised the photo is in B&W oops - look for one trouser leg up and one trouser leg down instead), behind Cameron in full flow. The article mentions a repeat event and establishing a Friends of Ironmills Park Group. 




Sadly attempts to formalise a friends of the park group have not yet come to fruition and hence there has been no repeat event so far. Hopefully a group will eventually emerge. It is hard to get these groups off the ground and to make sure they are democratic and inclusive. Attempts so far remind me far too much of running the PQMT meetings in my old job! I can’t remember what PQMT stands for but that might be a good thing.
I'll document the results of the meetings to get a friends group off the ground because there was some good stuff produced by way of a plan and mission statement. It would be a shame to lose these if someone else takes up the cudgel and I would like the information to be used if possible. Once again, more to follow. Beginning to wonder if I should write a book? Oh and next time someone asks me what I have done since I stopped working? I'm just going to say its a long story.

Off to plant my tree purchases from yesterday and there will be a gap for a while as I get some real work done and take a wee trip to London to celebrate Matin Khan's possible award for best Indian Restaurant.

Susan




No comments:

Post a Comment